NetShareAdd Failing on Windows 8
a***@gmail.com
2012-12-19 18:59:47 UTC
I have code in InstallShield that creates a share directory. This code has been working for years on all Windows OS versions that we currently support (XP, 2000, 2003, 2008, Vista and 7)

When I try to run this on Windows 8, however, it does not create the share. It returns an error 123, which is ERROR_INVALID_NAME. The error parameter is set to 8. I have put logging in to make sure that everything passed in is correct and it looks fine to me.

Any ideas? This code has been in place for several years without any problems until Windows 8 came along. Is the API call different in Windows 8?

Below is the code I am using

#define CP_ACP 0 // default to ANSI code page
#define CP_OEMCP 1 // default to OEM code page
#define CP_MACCP 2 // default to MAC code page
#define CP_THREAD_ACP 3 // current thread's ANSI code page
#define CP_SYMBOL 42 // SYMBOL translations

#define CP_UTF7 65000 // UTF-7 translation
#define CP_UTF8 65001 // UTF-8 translation

#define MB_PRECOMPOSED 0x00000001 // use precomposed chars
#define MB_COMPOSITE 0x00000002 // use composite chars
#define MB_USEGLYPHCHARS 0x00000004 // use glyph chars, not ctrl chars
#define MB_ERR_INVALID_CHARS 0x00000008 // error for invalid chars

#define STYPE_DISKTREE 0
#define STYPE_PRINTQ 1
#define STYPE_DEVICE 2
#define STYPE_IPC 3

#define SHARE_NETNAME_PARMNUM 1
#define SHARE_TYPE_PARMNUM 3
#define SHARE_REMARK_PARMNUM 4
#define SHARE_PERMISSIONS_PARMNUM 5
#define SHARE_MAX_USES_PARMNUM 6
#define SHARE_CURRENT_USES_PARMNUM 7
#define SHARE_PATH_PARMNUM 8
#define SHARE_PASSWD_PARMNUM 9
#define SHARE_FILE_SD_PARMNUM 501

#define STYPE_SPECIAL 2147483648

#define ACCESS_READ 0x01
#define ACCESS_WRITE 2
#define ACCESS_CREATE 4
#define ACCESS_EXEC 8
#define ACCESS_DELETE 16
#define ACCESS_ATRIB 32
#define ACCESS_PERM 64

#define ACCESS_GROUP 32768

#define ACCESS_ALL (ACCESS_READ+ACCESS_WRITE+ACCESS_CREATE+ACCESS_EXEC+ACCESS_DELETE+ACCESS_ATRIB+ACCESS_PERM)

#define SHI_USES_UNLIMITED -1

//
// Flags values for the 501, 1005, and 1007 infolevels
//
#define SHI1005_FLAGS_DFS 1 // Share is in the DFS
#define SHI1005_FLAGS_DFS_ROOT 2 // Share is root of DFS

#define COW_PERMACHINE 4 // Share data is per-machine data
#define COW_PERUSER 8 // Share data is per-user data

#define CSC_CACHEABLE 16 // Client can cache files for off-line access
#define CSC_NOFLOWOPS 32 // Client need not flow operations to the server
#define CSC_AUTO_INWARD 64 // Auto inward propagation (server->client) w/o UI
#define CSC_AUTO_OUTWARD 128 // Auto outward propagation(client->server) w/o UI

prototype LONG netapi32.NetShareAdd( POINTER, LONG, POINTER, POINTER );
prototype LONG kernel32.MultiByteToWideChar(LONG,LONG,POINTER,LONG,POINTER,LONG);

typedef _SHARE_INFO_2
begin
LPSTR shi2_netname;
NUMBER shi2_type;
LPSTR shi2_remark;
NUMBER shi2_permissions;
NUMBER shi2_max_uses;
NUMBER shi2_current_uses;
LPSTR shi2_path;
LPSTR shi2_passwd;
end;

typedef _WIDESTRING
begin
STRING Wide[400];
end;

function _NetShareAdd(szShareName, szPath)

STRING szDLL, szDLL2, sTemp;
_SHARE_INFO_2 NewShare;
_SHARE_INFO_2 POINTER pNewShare;
_WIDESTRING szDirPath,sShareName;
_WIDESTRING POINTER pDirPath,pShareName;
LONG sdParmError, nReturn;

begin

szDLL = WINSYSDIR ^ "netapi32.DLL";
szDLL2 = WINSYSDIR ^ "kernel32.DLL";

nReturn = UseDLL ( szDLL );
if (nReturn < 0) then
MessageBox("Unable to load netapi32.DLL", SEVERE);
exit;
endif;

nReturn = UseDLL ( szDLL2 );
if (nReturn < 0) then
MessageBox("Unable to load kernel32.DLL", SEVERE);
exit;
endif;

pDirPath = &szDirPath;
pShareName = &sShareName;

nReturn = MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP,MB_PRECOMPOSED,&szShareName,StrLengthChars(szShareName),pShareName,200);

pNewShare = &NewShare;
pNewShare->shi2_netname = pShareName;
pNewShare->shi2_type = STYPE_DISKTREE;
pNewShare->shi2_remark = NULL;
pNewShare->shi2_permissions = ACCESS_ALL;
pNewShare->shi2_max_uses = SHI_USES_UNLIMITED;
pNewShare->shi2_current_uses = 0;

nReturn = MultiByteToWideChar(CP_ACP,MB_PRECOMPOSED,&szPath,
StrLengthChars(szPath), pDirPath, 200 );

pNewShare->shi2_path = pDirPath;
pNewShare->shi2_passwd = NULL;

nReturn = NetShareAdd(NULL,2,&NewShare,&sdParmError);
if nReturn != 0 then
NumToStr (sTemp, nReturn);
MessageBox("Return from NetShareAdd = " + sTemp, INFORMATION);
NumToStr (sTemp, sdParmError);
MessageBox("Error = " + sTemp, INFORMATION);
endif;

UnUseDLL ( szDLL );
UnUseDLL ( szDLL2 );

end;
a***@gmail.com
2013-01-04 16:19:09 UTC
In case anyone else runs into this same issue, I found a solution. The path I was using had a backslash at the end of it, and I guess Windows 8 doesn't like that. As soon as I removed the backslash from the path it worked fine