Map a drive to a website address
Danbabe
2010-07-17 15:11:04 UTC
Hi folks,

Is there any way I can map a drive to a website address under a Windows
environment?

I wish to set a specific drive letter through a login script than when a
user logs in, they can access my web server under a specific folder that I
can set-up for each user so they can store files they wish to access from
anywhere on the web. I am happy to build a web-front end in required.

I know there are web sites out there such as idrive or dropbox but the
documents the staff will be saving will contain sensitive material and
information so having on our web servers is the only safe environment the
management are happy to use.

Many thanks for looking.

Danny
Pavel A.
2010-07-17 21:36:44 UTC
Post by Danbabe
Hi folks,
Is there any way I can map a drive to a website address under a Windows
environment?
I wish to set a specific drive letter through a login script than when a
user logs in, they can access my web server under a specific folder that I
can set-up for each user so they can store files they wish to access from
anywhere on the web. I am happy to build a web-front end in required.
I know there are web sites out there such as idrive or dropbox but the
documents the staff will be saving will contain sensitive material and
information so having on our web servers is the only safe environment the
management are happy to use.
Many thanks for looking.
Danny
Then how about just set up the network (with remote access if needed)
and install a plain normal file server?
Also, consider Sharepoint server to store files.

--pa
Danbabe
2010-07-22 12:26:29 UTC
Hi Pavel A,

Thanks for your response. I managed to find a free program called NetDrive
that allows you to map a drive to external address such as FTP etc... It
works as a service so runs in the background quite nicely and it's free.

I am now connected to my external source and copying files through writing a
script.

Thanks again to all of those who viewed this forum.

Danny
.